Saturday, February 11, 2017

A Machine Quilted Finish

It's finally done! Such a great feeling to say these words when you have worked on a quilt that was just a little bit of a challenge.
Not only was the making of this quilt a challenge, but I had no idea how I wanted to quilt the white spaces. Fortunately, when I was looking for something in my sewing room, I came across these paper quilting patterns from Borders Made Easy.
I haven't used them in years and really completely forgot about them. One look at them and I knew I could finish my quilt. These borders are very easy to use. In simple terms, you cut them to size, use the adhesive strips on the back to attach them to your quilt, sew on the lines and then tear off the paper.

I cut the border into small pieces to use in between the star points.


Then I tackled the borders, which was actually very easy because you can make one continuous sewing line all the way around. Since I didn't connect all my borders, I had four continuous lines. Still, that is nothing compared to some of my other options.
In addition to using the adhesive strips, I added a few pins just to be sure. Also, since this product was purchased a long time ago, the adhesive was a little gummy in spots where I sewed over it (when two pieces overlapped.) Otherwise, it is a breeze to work with.

A lesson learned for myself is to quit making quilts with lots of white space. Quilting them is just not my thing and I literally had to force myself to finish. This quilt was a UFO exception. Usually, I finish a quilt before starting another. However, it is now finished and I'm on to the next project!


Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Evolution of a Quilt

As I have mentioned previously, rarely do I follow a pattern as written. There must be something haywire in my brain, but I just can't seem to do it. Modifications happen regularly.

Last fall, a paper-pieced, tree quilt caught my eye. It was made with rows of triangles, each row having a few less to create a larger triangle tree shape. I knew it would work perfectly for the small stash of green scraps I had.

After drawing out some paper foundations, I set to work. And after three rows, decided I didn't like making it. Sigh.
I let it sit for awhile. Then one day while reading a library book of paper-pieced patterns, I found a star pattern that caught my eye, but was a little too complex. After some experimenting on paper, I was able to re-create a version with less points.
I figured out some measurements and realized I could incorporate the three lines of pieced triangles, with two of the stars, to create a quilt. And that is what I did.

It was a close call to have enough fabric to make the stars. I really had to think about fitting the smaller size points on smaller fabric, while still alternating fabrics, but it all worked in the end.
The one part of paper piecing that I really like is the accuracy of the "joints" - things fit together almost perfectly!
My Clover mini-iron was a real help with the triangles, but didn't work as well with the larger star points.
The stars didn't look that great attached directly to the triangle strips, so I added some sashing in between.
 
By early December, I had it all pieced together. And then it sat. I knew I needed to add quilting lines, but I wasn't sure what to do. In my next post, I'll show how I ended up quilting it.