Saturday, February 11, 2017

A Machine Quilted Finish

It's finally done! Such a great feeling to say these words when you have worked on a quilt that was just a little bit of a challenge.
Not only was the making of this quilt a challenge, but I had no idea how I wanted to quilt the white spaces. Fortunately, when I was looking for something in my sewing room, I came across these paper quilting patterns from Borders Made Easy.
I haven't used them in years and really completely forgot about them. One look at them and I knew I could finish my quilt. These borders are very easy to use. In simple terms, you cut them to size, use the adhesive strips on the back to attach them to your quilt, sew on the lines and then tear off the paper.

I cut the border into small pieces to use in between the star points.


Then I tackled the borders, which was actually very easy because you can make one continuous sewing line all the way around. Since I didn't connect all my borders, I had four continuous lines. Still, that is nothing compared to some of my other options.
In addition to using the adhesive strips, I added a few pins just to be sure. Also, since this product was purchased a long time ago, the adhesive was a little gummy in spots where I sewed over it (when two pieces overlapped.) Otherwise, it is a breeze to work with.

A lesson learned for myself is to quit making quilts with lots of white space. Quilting them is just not my thing and I literally had to force myself to finish. This quilt was a UFO exception. Usually, I finish a quilt before starting another. However, it is now finished and I'm on to the next project!


No comments:

Post a Comment